Friday, September 26, 2008

Inquiring Minds - Cloth Diaper Update

Yes, Heather, our adventures in cloth diapering continue! Things were going very well toward the end of the summer and we got in a great routine. Then I got a new detergent that was supposed to be better for the diapers. A month later I realized the recurring diaper rash Tommy was having was because of that detergent. So we lost a month of "savings" by needing to use disposables more often and trying a couple of different kinds of diapers (thinking Tommy was possibly allergic to the fabric). Why it took me so long to realize it was the detergent is beyond me! I guess I figured a super natural, nothing added detergent couldn't possibly cause a skin reaction! Now we're back to the original detergent and no rash at all! Tommy started day care in the middle of this rash situation so I never brought up him using cloth diapers there. So... he's an evening/weekend cloth diaper guy right now.
I do wash them. The diaper service ones are all the "old school" prefold diapers that you have to pin and wear a cover with. The ones we use are pocket diapers - basically a cover with velcro that I stuff with these microfiber inserts. Anyway, so I just wash everything myself; it's super easy!
As far as saving money, it's definitely a long term investment. But I can say our trash has gone way down and that's good! I can see it being a big money saver in the long run if we ever have more than one kid in diapers. Especially since I bought some disposables last week for daycare and found they'd gone up $5 a box since the last time I bought them in August!
Anyway, long story short - I love them. They're really soft and really easy to use once I got the hang of the way to care for the diapers so they keep their absorbancy and don't get stinky!
Happy to answer other inquiries to the best of my knowledge!

1 comment:

Romios Family said...

I feel so special with my own dedicated post! Thanks for all of the info, I am keeping it in mind for when #2 arrives. (gulp.)