Warning: potty talk and potty jokes ahead!
Well to all who said to just stay home for a week to potty train...... It totally worked. I remain cautiously optimistic because I am afraid to jinx myself but this was day 8 and he has been near flawless. We ventured out sans pullups today even braving gymnastics in big boy underwear! He will put on "sleepy underwear" for nap and nighttime though he is on a three day streak of staying dry through the night! He wakes up when he has to go! That may mean 2 am, but it's happening.
All is going well, but the things still left to tackle are huge.
I continue to travel with my own potty as we take baby steps toward the real toilet. Victories at church yesterday and burgermeister today give me hope that this will be resolved soon. I may keep the car potty, though, per Shawna's wisdom.
He has not successfully completed #2 on the potty and shows a reticence to do so. This is the only "accident" he's had in days. Suggestions welcomed!!
The week was not delightful at all. I would say it was very stressful for all involved but we persevere and rewarded ourselves with plenty of m&ms too!
I know there will be ups and downs but I am just happy to be well on our way. Preschool starts June 1st and I wanted this done first! (knock on wood)
The anatomy discussions that have blossomed out of this week have been hilarious. He has some new vocabulary words he may share with you! After he had an interesting theory as to from whence I peed it became necessary to set the record straight. So I apologize in advance if he starts telling you that Mommy doesn't have a weiner, she has a "bagina"
Ah precious memories!
4 comments:
Hi, Sarah's cousin here. My daughter is three and my husband and I are taking next week off to potty train, as we have had no success so far. So I was excited to read that you did just that and it worked. How did you start? Did you just wake up on day one and put him in underwear? Any advice is appreciated!
Go, Tommy!
No advice on the poop front... I think I lucked out that both Joey and Clara had no qualms about it. With Joey I stalked him during his "time of day" -- right after breakfast -- and the nanosecond he started showing signs of needing to go, I plopped him on the potty. Clara did it all by herself!
Darcy
Yes, we just "ran out of diapers" on Sunday (but we also gave him warning that we were running out...) We did a full day or two naked. It took him the first day to just figure out what was going on. If you have nice weather, I recommend backyard fun. We watered the grass a lot (not sure if boys will like that more than girls?). Tommy did resist at first and would hold it for a long time, like hours, before he was finally going to burst. Those moments were tense but since we knew he was ready we just hung in there with him. Then we used both underwear and pullups (which we called sleepy underwear). The word "diaper" was gone from our house and if he did have an accident or something we avoided the changing table. There were times when the "Big Boy" talk seemed to stress him out and we avoided it. Other times he proclaimed himself a "big boy". I definitely think he was ready and that's why it worked this week. I just hope it's not a novelty or something that he'll grow tired of! Good luck!
You all have fun now!
Post a Comment