Thursday, January 7, 2010

Storytime Scars

Well Tom went back to school this week so my goal was to start this time at home off as busy as possible. Not "over scheduled" mind you, but always with the option of a place to go. I wisely enlisted the help of Sara, who has more experience with this than I, and she clued me into the many activities and storytimes available to us.

Monday I ventured out for the first time alone with both kids. We went to a couple of stores and hit Stonestown. Really, this day was about a few minor errands and the greater task of practicing getting my new stroller out of the car, loading 2 kids in and out of it, and learning to drive it without bumping said kids into walls, poles, or dipping them off the curb. Nordstrom may not be a place I shop, but I certainly thank them for their lovely "Mothers' Lounge."

On Tuesday Sara and I met at the Bay Area Discovery Museum and our kids had a blast running, screaming, climbing, and sweeping. (You'll notice I haven't managed to do the 2 kids and get my camera out of the bag) We were home in time for naptime, which I'm happy to say Tommy has agreed with every day so far this week.

Wednesday brought story time on West Portal. Sara and Clara are regulars there while Joey is at school and Shawna and I brought our kids as well. So between the 3 of us we had 7 kids there. I know it's a cliche but that "it takes a village" thing is really starting to ring true! Tommy started out super shy and stuck on my lap forbidding me to sing or react to the story. About halfway through he started to warm up just a little. Then they busted out the musical instruments. Hooray! Now we're speaking Tommy's language. Clara, the storytime pro she is, took newbie Tommy under her wing and brought him a bell to play with. He rang that bell nice and loud and sang along with the songs! We were going to make it! We were having fun! And then ding... dong... ouch! Tommy hits himself in the face with the bell and bumps his lip. Out come the tears, put the baby down, try to quiet the screaming toddler while everyone else sings. Nana arrived just in time to help quiet/distract Tommy and we were able to recover for the last couple of minutes and some post-storytime visiting with cousins. Tommy went off to lunch with Nana and Maureen (thanks!) and Lucy and I went off to Newborn Connections for a weigh-in. She clocked in at 7lbs 15.7 oz before feeding and 8lbs 2.5oz after - which means she actually is getting the right amount of milk. She gained 8 oz in 8 days which is exactly what she's supposed to be doing so we're relieved that the nursing/pumping is working. Lucy and I went home to a nice relaxing afternoon while Tommy napped at Nana's (THANKS!!)

Thursday brought us another storytime, but this time right down the street at the Westlake Library. So close, we walked! Tommy did great on the walk choosing to stand in the sit/stand stroller the entire way! When we got to the children's room at the library, we saw Shawna and 3 of her girls already there. Out came shy Tommy and he clutched at my leg as I practically dragged him into the room and we sat at the chair closest to the door. I squeezed both kids onto my lap. He warmed up to storytime more quickly today and things were going great. Lucy was acting hungry and Tommy was feeling more comfortable so I asked him to climb off so I could get what I needed from our bag to feed Lucy. He obliged, (what a rock star!) but ended up falling off my lap and banging his head really hard against the wall. Screams ensued. Shawna puts down her kids and comes to help me with mine! (my heroine!) I pass off Lucy and work to comfort poor Tommy. Sara comes in just then with her kids but Tommy's too traumatized to be happy to see Joey & Clara. At least Sara can help Shawna with Lucy! (ugh, anybody else tired?) Storytime has ended by the time Tommy has recovered enough to not be screaming in the library but I did retrieve my daughter at some point and put her in the stroller. As the other kids started clearing out of the library, I was able to lure Tommy into the room and, with time, he relaxed said hi to his cousins and eventually colored a picture of a frog. We walked home (the long way via Westlake Shopping Center and Burger King) and now both are happily napping.

It's only Thursday? It's only the first week? I need to get this kid a helmet and pads before Open Gym tomorrow.

Lucy is 3 weeks old and doing well, by the way, and traveled along each of these days with no drama. She slept some nice long stretches the last 2 nights and has been awake more in daylight hours - rather than midnight ones - which is nice. She'll hit her first Sharks/Red Wings game on Saturday.

I'll try and take some pictures of these kids when they wake up.

1 comment:

Shawna said...

You're a trooper to have blogged about all of this already! Lucy was a pleasure to hold, and Tommy will be loving Miss Sue at the library in no time! Glad everyone's napping , too!!