Friday, November 20, 2009

Adventures in Housewifery - Week 1

Well my first week at home is drawing to a close and here's what I've accomplished.

1. On Monday, I put all of our clothes away. We tend to live out of clean laundry baskets; I actually discovered there is a floor in our bedroom! Tommy came home that afternoon and came running into our room and immediately slipped and fell on the clean floor. As he sat there shocked, he looked at us and said, "I need clothes here." I guess he missed the padding on his fall. Sad... I also had a doctor's appointment, everything's fine, nothing's dilating yet.

2. On Tuesday, I did my DVR duty. Ok this isn't very impressive but I got through a lot of stuff that had been clogging up the DVR hard drive - or so I thought. It turns out someone has 30 episodes of Star Trek: Enterprise saved up. Definitely the lazy day.

3. Wednesday was my truly impressive day. I'd bought a small crock pot over the weekend - never used one before - and thought I'd give it a try. The result?
BEEF STEW! Ok so I can read a recipe, nothing fancy. And I did have to Google some terms as I have zero cooking experience or knowledge. How does one define the difference between diced, minced, and chopped? And most embarrassingly given my roots - how much garlic is a clove? Let's be glad I looked that one up before throwing the whole bulb in, huh? The look on Tom's face when he came in the house and it smelled good was priceless. I think he likes this setup so far. It was yummy.

While our dinner cooked, I also got out of the house and met Greg for lunch (all the while praying that the crock pot wasn't burning my house down while left unattended). I also pulled Tommy and his wagon up to the playground where I captured this video of him singing. Whenever we go to the playground by our house now he stands on the stone alligator buried in the bark and starts singing this song about a frog on a log. That's all I can decipher from the song. He says he learned it from "Barney" (shudder, only 2 more days of daycare and any exposure to Barney, who he's been quoting a lot lately!). I took this video with my phone so it's small and hard to hear but his choreography is once again stellar and his character development is rich.



4. On Thursday, my body was very sore. Perhaps standing in the kitchen chopping/dicing/mincing and then pulling a kid up a hill in a wagon is not what I should be doing on disability? Regardless, there was chili to make. This required much less prep and fewer ingredients so I tossed everything into the crock pot for Tom's chili by 10am and let it slow cook until 6pm. (How bad will my PG&E bill be this month?) Again, I didn't do much else the rest of the day since I was so sore. I did sit in the house with that (terrible, to me) chili smell all day but once again the look on Tom's face when he got home was worth it! The chili was apparently good, (Tommy and I had frozen pizza! ha!) I didn't take pictures - it looked a lot like the stew.

5. Which brings us to Friday and so far not much has been done. I do have to go to school today to pick up 60 term papers to grade (boo hoo) and sit and watch a dance rehearsal. Nana's cooking dinner tonight so the kitchen is cold and quiet today.

Regarding my week's accomplishments, please note: I had NO children home with me all week. Tommy still has 2 more days at daycare and #2 still has a few more weeks of baking. The reality of any of these activities being repeated after I have 2 kids at home will be a much greater feat, the same goes for all the blogging that I've been doing.

Next week will be grading papers and enjoying the last 2 days of daycare for the next 9 months!

3 comments:

Mike said...

Nice work! I saw that picture of the crock pot and assumed I had somehow linked to the wrong blog.

Sara said...

Trust me, the crockpot will be an even better friend to you after #2 arrives! Let me know if you want any easy recipes :)

Shawna said...

Sounds like an awesome start to the next 9 months!! Keep crock-potting :)