So back to Tuesday night... with just a few hours left of my due date, I finally started having some regular contractions. Of course, I figured they'd stop once I fell asleep (as had been the case the previous 2 weeks) so I tried to go to bed. Surprisingly that didn't work, so I got up and started timing while Tom got a little bit of sleep. We got the clear to come into the hospital around 1 am so we mobilized. Tommy woke up amazingly well as we packed him off to Nana's. All those early morning trips before school the last few weeks prepped him well for getting dropped off in the middle of the night. After dropping him off (thanks a million Nana!) we were off to the hospital arriving around 2:15am. At 2:30 I was 4cm dilated and they sent us upstairs to the Labor & Delivery floor. Glossing over all details in between.... 2 hours later she was born! The doctor said she'd have come even more quickly had she not been face up! Yikes! So after making us wait through the whole 40 weeks, she was at least quick to arrive on the big day.
She was great in the hospital. Continuing to gloss over some details, she's still working on nursing. Apparently I breed children with ridiculously small mouths (I know, right!) which is what's making it difficult for her (and was also probably Tommy's problem). So with a combination right now of pumping and other nursing aids we're getting the milk into her. It seems possible that once we've established a supply and the habit of nursing, she should be able to nail it as she gets a little bigger and we won't need to rely exclusively on the pump. But she's generally content, sleeps well, and hasn't given us much trouble up to this point.
Because of the H1N1 flu, the hospital does not currently allow visitors under the age of 16 so Tommy was not able to meet Lucy in the hospital. So learning from our experience with bringing home a second dog, we had Tommy and Lucy meet on "neutral ground." So on our way home from the hospital we met Tommy and Nana at Stow Lake. Tommy was so excited to finally meet Baby Lucy. She brought him a BIG slinky and the book "That's not my penguin" so he thinks she's pretty cool so far. Arriving at home also went smoothly, though was pretty busy at first. Thanks to Tim for feeding and outing the dogs but you can imagine what the house looks like when the two of them have been bored and crazy for 3 days with no one home! But now we're all comfy and cozy and are settling into our new routine.
Tommy is absolutely head over heels in love with Lucy. He wants to hold her constantly and is thus far understanding and content with me needing to hold both of them at the same time. Hopefully the novelty doesn't wear off too soon.
Here are a few new pictures. All of our pics so far are here for those of you who don't want to miss a thing! (link fixed now)



2 comments:
Love the picture of Tommy holding Lucy!! He looks so happy and proud!
This is the sweetest post. Love all the details. And of course, I have a soft spot with babies arriving already sporting a hair style. :)
Post a Comment