We start of at G-ma's "farm" in Gilroy. Tommy liked tether ball but G-ma plays hard so watch your head, Tommy!
We were there to get Tommy's swing picture (G-ma is going for a set, Marco has done his). Tommy was distracted by the farm below but posed dutifully by the swing.
Tommy finds out where plums come from (and apples, and apricots, and pears). I love this picture!
Ok off to Gilroy Gardens. Mommy wasn't allowed on all but 2 of the rides so G-ma had to take over in the passenger seat. I don't think she minded. Gilroy Gardens is "California's only horticultural educational theme park" - it's more fun than it sounds.The first ride we hit was Artichoke Dip. I didn't grab the camera from G-ma first so here's my camera phone capture of the two riding in a spinning artichoke.
Tommy's favorite ride ended up being the caterpillar - we went back and rode it again later. For the rest of the day (and this morning) he said "I rode a caterpillar with Grandma!"
After lunch (super expensive, eat first next time!) we stumbled by the water park area just in time. It was hot! Tommy had a blast and played really well with a lot of bigger kids, who also played very well with him.

These cars were the first ride where he didn't need a chaperone. He was super excited to drive this car, he requested #2. Unfortunately, this kiddie ride has no sun canopy or anything and those hot metal steering wheels aren't very enjoyable in 80 degree weather. I put an extra tshirt over the wheel so he could tolerate the ride (no we wouldn't let him off when he cried) but I think the heat killed his joy on that one a little (he did stop crying, by the way, once the ride started).
The goldfish (like Dumbo ride but no joysticks - does go up and down and pretty fast) were in the shade and he loved it. Props to Gilroy Gardens and their seatbelts on this ride that can only be unlocked by the attendant and a special key. Maybe all parks have this, I don't know. But it helps my anxiety on the outside of the gate knowing he can't undo his seatbelt mid-ride.
Mmmm - much needed ice cream break. That cone was twice as tall as shown here.
Finally, a ride Mommy can go on: spinning strawberries! Tommy had fun; Mommy was getting dizzy and wanted off.
Back to the caterpillar with Grandma again!
Posing with his new best friend, the sassy caterpillar.
We were hot and tired by this point but we found a "lazy river" sort of ride which included water and shade so we wrapped up our trip with this. The frog sounds coming from the speakers were excessively loud but Tommy didn't notice that! He loved when we would bump into the wall. I was on this ride too (spinning and water, good choice Meredith, ugh...) but Tommy looked much cuter and happier than I did!

He crashed in the car after this, but really had a great time there from like 11:45-3:45! We will definitely go back, Daddy wants to see this!Then G-ma went back to Hecker Pass to do some work and I took the sleeping boy to the outlets to do a little shopping. By then I could stand no more so we went and hung out with Auntie Jo for a little while until G-ma was ready to go home. We got home past bedtime but Tommy was a trooper all day and had so much fun. Though pricey, this place rocks for little kids. We were very lucky that there was nobody there on this Monday afternoon; we never waited in line for anything. Not sure what it's like on a weekend...
Good times, thanks G-ma!
2 comments:
Don't thank me. Thank YOU for Tommy.
So glad you guys enjoyed Gilroy Gardens...I've never seen a line for any ride. Its a great place - perfect for Tommy's age (actually, both of our girls still love going). Next time, go on the old fashioned cars - you should be able to handle that ride, Meredith. Anyways, sorry we didn't get to see you while you were in town - we aren't any fun right now anyways because we are kid-less for the week :)
Post a Comment